Surgery Update...

Hey guys!  Happy Wednesday!  So, I have had a ton of questions on what my surgery was for and things like that so today I wanted to update you on how I am doing so far, what my surgery was, the recovery process and more!

So for my surgery I had my ulna shortened to match the length of my radius.  Growing up in gymnastics I had wrist pain on and off over the years.  My senior year of college I finally got x-rays on my wrist which told me my ulna was longer than my radius, but we never really did anything about it other than take some anti-inflammatories.  The stress from gymnastics caused the growth plate in my radius to close early while my ulna was still growing.  Well, over the past couple months my wrist has really been bothering me and the pain never really went away.  I went to the doctor here in Los Angeles and he basically said the only way to permanently get rid of the pain was to get surgery. Since BYU was going to cover the cost I decided to go ahead and get the surgery so that I don't have to worry about my wrist always hurting when I'm working out and possible tissue damage later on down the road.

The surgery consisted of making an incision from the end of my wrist bone about halfway down to my elbow (along my ulna).  The surgeon cut my bone in two places to take out about 4mm.  He then put a 4 inch plate in along with 9 screws to help everything heal and stay in place.  He also made two little incisions along the top of my wrist to make sure there wasn't any major damage in my wrist. Luckily I just had inflammation which he was pretty easily able to take out.  So now I will be in a cast for about 2 months and he expects a full recovery between 4-6 months just depending on how fast everything heals.  

So far I have actually been doing really well.  I got my surgery Monday morning and luckily my nerve block lasted through most of the night.  Tuesday I spent a lot of time on the couch in the morning, and by late afternoon I was feeling well enough to go out for a little walk and get some stuff done on the computer.  I am hoping to just take my pain pills at night and get through the day with Advil.  I feel like I am very lucky at how my body responds to surgery. For all three surgeries I have had I've only taken the pain pills the day after surgery and have been able to feel well considering the extent of my surgeries. Hopefully I will continue to go up from here (although I already know there are going to be several tough days along the way). I truly feel like maintaining a positive attitude makes the biggest difference!  Now don't get me wrong... I'm not saying its easy at all!  Not a second goes by here my arm isn't throbbing, but I know the only way I am going to get through this (and grow in the process) is if I stay positive.

I am going to be as open and honest as possible during this process because I want to be real with you guys - the good, the bad, and the ugly!  I will definitely keep you updated and in the loop with everything going on!

Thanks for stopping by!  And thank you for all of the love and support!

XO, Kenz