Today is a beautiful day to be alive!! I hope you all are having a great week! If you have been struggling this week I encourage you to stop and smell the roses, realize all of the amazing things you have in your life even if you're going through tough challenges!
Today I want to share with you guys some of my tips to healthy snacking. I think a lot of times the reason we snack so much (especially with unhealthy foods) is because we are bored (I know this happens to me ALL of the time)! When we get bored and don't have anything to do it is almost like an automatic response to walk over to the pantry and find something to munch on. So here are some of my tips to 1- snack when you are hungry and 2- to snack healthy:
- Drink water: Like I said a lot of the reason we snack is because we are bored. So when you are bored and wanting to snack, instead drink a big glass of water. This will help you feel more full and keep you out of the bag of chips! (and keep you hydrated)
- Grab a stick of gum: When you are bored and just want something to chew on a piece of gum can often do the trick!
- Prepare! You KNOW you will snack during the day (and that's not a bad thing) so be ready for it! This week my husband and I have been really good about having healthy snacks ready to go (and let me tell you, it makes the biggest difference)! You know when you snack you aren't wanting to actually make something...you want something that you can just grab and eat. Make it ahead of time so that it is ready as soon as you open the fridge door! Here are a couple of ideas: strawberries, apples, celery, or carrots all packed ready to eat in Ziploc bags. (Jon and I went a little snack happy! haha Just check out the picture at the top. And that's just for the two of us this week!)
- Out of sight, out of mind: If you don't have it in your house, you won't eat it! As hard as it can be to get rid of the junk food, it will make a massive difference in your eating habits. For me, whenever we have fruit snacks in the house I eat like 3 a day. I always tell myself that I am only going to have 1 per day, but the odds of that happening are slim to none. I have good self control sometimes, but not all of the time...and it's in those moments of weakness that I sneak a couple extra packs. But, if we don't have them in the house, I am not tempted by them at all. Surround yourself with healthy snacks and you will be much more likely to eat them.
- Snack out of the fridge: The fridge is where all of your fresh foods are stored. It is a lot harder to snack unhealthily out of the fridge than it is to snack unhealthily out of the pantry. Just think about it for a minute! The fridge is where you keep all of your fruits and veggies and the pantry is where you keep all of your chips and fruit roll ups. Next time you get the urge to snack, go straight to the fridge!
I love you all!!