Good morning! I hope you are having a fantastic week! I am writing this post in the beautiful city of Lahaina, Hawaii while watching the sunset...talk about a perfect setting!
I have been thinking a lot lately about pre- and post-workout meals. Most people know they should eat before a workout, but a lot of people don't know what to eat. Today I want to talk a little bit about pre- and post-workout meals that will give you the best benefits of your workout. Fueling your body properly is the foundation for a successful workout.
- Consume carbs and protein
- Avoid fatty foods and candy (they can make you feel slow and sluggish)
- Don't eat too much as this can also make you feel sluggish and bloated
- Oatmeal with a sliced banana
- Whole wheat toast with peanut butter
- Greek yogurt with fruit (and/or granola)
- Consume mostly lean protein and carbs
- Consuming these macronutrients post-workout will help enhance recovery, restore glycogen, and help repair, rebuild, and grow muscle
- Try to eat within 30 minutes of completing your workout
- Chocolate milk (has protein, carbs, and the fluids needed to help your body recover)
- Eggs and avocado on whole wheat toast
- Grilled chicken with quinoa or whole wheat pasta
It really doesn't take a whole lot of time or effort to fuel yourself properly pre- and post-workout, but it is necessary in order to maximize the benefits of your workout. There are tons of quick and easy foods to grab before or after a workout that will continue to help your body recover and grow...therefore there is no excuse to skip these meals!!!
I hope you all enjoyed this post! If you have any favorite pre- or post-workout meals let me know because I would love to try them!
Have a fantastic week! Make it a goal this week to fuel yourself properly before and after your workout and I promise that you will be able to notice the difference!